Re: Open issues list? [Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review]

On Jul 30, 2008, at 17:28, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

But look at Apple, they've been doing this for some years now wih their airport base stations, although they of course use a special configuration utility, not a web interface.

Apple uses IPv6 link-local transport for a wide variety of user application protocols, e.g. AirTunes, iTunes library sharing, iPhoto sharing, Time Machine w/ Time Capsule, etc. The big win for us is that we don't have any address realm conflicts with IPv6 link-local when hosts are attached as a bastion between their ethernet and Wi-fi interfaces.

If it weren't for the utility of IPv6 link-local in preventing address realm conflicts, I don't think very many Mac OS X users would today be seeing any real-world benefit *at* *all* to having their IPv6 stacks enabled. Indeed, many users are now turning *off* their IPv6 stacks altogether to workaround the usual problems caused by it and they're finding that the address realm conflict avoidance feature is not something they miss all that much.

Still, we remain committed to using IPv6 link-local in this fashion for the foreseeable future. To that extent, we have begun explaining to our network interface chipset vendors that hardware support for IPv6 checksum calculation/verification and TCP segment offloading is one of our considerations when evaluating their products for use in our supply chain.

I mention all this to surface the importance of us all getting over this bizarre aversion to the idea that link-local scope IPv6 addresses are not required for use once there is a global scope prefix advertised on the link. Some of the unique local address arguments we are seeing here are red herrings. Unique local address prefixes are only really useful when the CPE LAN is segmented into more than one link without any bridges between them, but they still within the same administrative domain and routing policy must be used to separate them. These topologies are... rare... in residential networks. (I don't know how rare, but I'd be surprised if they account for more than a tenth of a percent of all deployments.)

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering