Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

Alain Durand writes:
On 7/23/08 11:31 AM, "EricLKlein@softhome.net" <EricLKlein@softhome.net>
wrote:
D sounds like a problem to me as you don't want to advertise a "come
configure me" service. This is the one I am most against in my previous
e-mail.

Why? I fail to see any more problems with this than with the other
approaches.

Having a known address is not the same as advertising it out to anyone that is locally connected. Admittedly it is only a short term improvement until the fixed address becomes commonly known via the internet, but even then it is only a problem if someone comes to the area of a wireless network where the security has not been changed from the default.
Consider the situation as follows:
Person x goes and buys a WiFI router to connect to their DSL link. But prior to connecting to the DSL they plug it in to configure it. The only way that someone would know to try to configure it would be to see it in their available networks and then recognize the brand and to try to connect to the default IP address. Vs. Someone sees a new hotspot advertising a "come configure me" service. In the first case you need to proactivly go looking for things to hack, in the second you are invited in to do so. Maybe I am alone on this, but I prefer to make the hacker try harder without inviting them inside. Eric