Re: Open issues list? [Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review]

On 29 jul 2008, at 9:29, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:

Next one is use of ULA for the home network on the LAN interface(s) of
the CPE Router.  What we have in mind ULA lasts on the device till the
next reboot (ULA will not be renumbered on the device acquiring a GUA)

Note that "GUA" isn't a widely understood term...

I'm somewhat concerned that these ULA addresses will do bad stuff to existing IPv6 implementations which may or may not use ULA source addresses towards public destinations when ULAs have been advertised.

ULAs are only really needed with nested CPEs, because if there's only a single CPE you can use link locals. It may also be good to wait a short amount of time for global addresses before advertising an ULA prefix.

I would suggest some experimentation with this, both in the bad effects of ULAs and how workable configuration usin link locals is, and only put requirements one way or the other in the document when we know more.