Re: "Last Look" at the RADIUS Design Guidelines document

On Jan 12, 2010, at 10:14 AM, Avi Lior wrote:

I am sorry but i dont understand the concept of a non-IETF SDO vs (I assume) an IETF SDO.

The is no significant concept there other than the fact that I consider the IETF to be an SDO.

I think that that is a personal attack David...

It was not intended as an attack, but simply as an observation.

You have no idea what I have been doing in other SDOs.

With all due respect, you personally told me as much during one of the IETF social events. Do you recall? While I do see an element of irony here, let's not get diverted down that "rathole".

I think the main issue of contention is how to reasonably extend the RADIUS protocol to me the need to advanced applications. I think that it's reasonable to *extended* RADIUS in a forward / backward compatible way. What I think is unreasonable is to *re-define* RADIUS in a fashion that "breaks" a large number of fielded deployments. We can argue all day about whether the "traditional" RADIUS Attributes and data model as defined in RFC encompasses the notion of complex attributes. What I think is compelling is the fact that a large number of existing implementations took the interpretation that it doesn't.

Why is it so onerous to utilize the RADIUS Extended Attribute as the vehicle to address the needs fro complex types and other advanced features? I simply don't understand.