Re: "Last Look" at the RADIUS Design Guidelines document

On Jan 11, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Avi Lior wrote:

> If you want to make progress then do something about the complex attributes
> and other areas that are problematic.

That's not for me to say. We require WG consensus to do that, and the consensus we have is to defer such issues to the RADIUS Extended Attributes document and leave "traditional" RADIUS pretty much alone.

> It seems from the remark you are making you a suggesting that we stop
> complaining about these complex attributes and other things.

I *am* suggesting that you (and others) channel that energy into a vehicle that currently has WG consensus to address such issues, namely the RADIUS Extended Attributes document.

> People like myself are tired of bringing up issues on this document over
> and over again and have them being ignored.

I understand, but at some point you may want to consider simply accepting the WG consensus on this and to find another way to address your issues. Attempting to re-open closed discussions isn't productive

> I can just ignore this document at the IETF but the problem is that it will
> haunt me at the SDO level.

I'm certainly not suggesting that you (or anyone) ignore the document.

> Several people told me that no one will take this document seriously
> and that I should let it go.

Well, those who give you that advice would appear to me to not take the standard process seriously.

> What is the purpose of this document?

The purpose is to document the Internet community's assessment of the Best Current Practice for designing RADIUS Attributes for the "traditional" RADIUS protocol, as defined in RFC 2865.

The purpose of the RADIUS Extended Attributes document is to address the shortcomings of the "traditional" RADIUS data model that we are all very familiar with. Or at least to partially address those shortcomings. The WG consensus on that does stop short of creating full feature-parity with Diameter.