Re: Open issues list? [Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review]

Thanks for following up on this.

On 2008-07-29 20:29, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I and Wes can recall only two issues that have not reached consensus.

> Next one is use of ULA for the home network on the LAN interface(s) of
> the CPE Router.  What we have in mind ULA lasts on the device till the
> next reboot (ULA will not be renumbered on the device acquiring a GUA)
> upon which the same ULA or a different ULA may be generated by the
> device.  We are saying the LAN interface(s) will use ULA for the
> lifetime of the CPE Router till the router reboots.

What about someone who prefers to have a permanent ULA so that devices
such as printers have permanent addresses? I think that SHOULD be
provided as a user-configurable option.

> Alain is one person
> who would like to renumber the ULA on the LAN interface acquiring a GUA.
> I didn't see enough justification from him to change the draft in the
> ULA regard.  Remi has also replied to Alain's concerns and claimed they
> are non-issues.

I think there's a philosophical difference behind that. My personal
view of ULAs has always been that their value lies in being provider-
independent and stable, and being always available for intra-site
communications. IMHO they are not temporary addresses for use during
a boot phase or disconnected operation.

Thanks
     Brian