From: Stark, Barbara [mailto:bs7652@att.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:11 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant); Antonio Querubin
Cc: v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

I'm sorry to have caused you to think that I didn't want a global IP address on the WAN interface! What I meant to express, was that I didn't think a global IP address needed to be provided via SLAAC or stateful DHCPv6, but that it could be taken from the prefix. The definition of "Numbered Model" is very specific to getting the global address via SLAAC or stateful DHCPv6, and not any other way. So either the "Numbered Model" should also allow the global address to come from the prefix (especially if none comes from SLAAC or stateful DHCPv6), or the "Unnumbered Model" needs to mention that the WAN interface gets a global address from the prefix. I'm fine either way.

Yes, the WAN interface absolutely *must* have a global IP address that it uses for sending and receiving IP messages, as far as I'm concerned.

The "health" of the connection can be determined in a variety of ways.
PPP has messages for testing the PPP connection. I forget what the access network uses in IPv4. I know that inside the home we use ARP (for
IPv4) to test whether the device is still there. There are also PHY and
L2 layer tests to see if those layers are working. I can go ask the access network guys what we do for IP over Ethernet. In addition to these access network methods, our devices have a "heartbeat". They are expected to periodically "phone home" to the TR-069 server. For the health of the device (above and beyond whether the IP connection is up or down), we rely on TR-069.

FYI: Note that TR-069 is just some remote procedure calls and XML config parameters that run over (SOAP)/HTTPS/TCP/IP. Pretty basic. One big difference between TR-069 and SNMP is that TR-069 requires the CPE to initiate the connection (pull model). The XML config parameters are the analog of SNMP MIBs.
Barbara