RE: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

Barbara,

Since Antonio also raised a point about IPv6 addresses assigned to the
WAN interface (and the number of WAN interface(s)), we are combining a
reply to both you and Antonio.

Barbara, when you say,

"We have considered the possibility of a separate IP address for our
TR-069 management of the CPE routers that we supply, but would want this
to be a
configurable option."

could you please elaborate. Does this separate IPv6 address get assigned
to the WAN side of the CPE Router? If yes, if the WAN interface is only
assigned a link-local address, then what network interface on the WAN
side does this IPv6 address get assigned to? One choice we have is to
assign the IPv6 address to the Loopback interface facing the WAN side.
Also, when reviewers ask for another network interface on the WAN side,
or another IPv6 address on the WAN side, could reviewers please
appreciate the fact that another WAN interface can mean two things for a
router. Either we have second physical WAN interface with a new
mac-address or we still have one WAN interface and the second WAN
interface is just a logical interface bound to the physical WAN
interface such that both the physical WAN interface and the logical
interface share a mac-address between them. Antonio and Barbara, which
one of these two interfaces are you talking about? Further, if one is
spawning logical interfaces on any router, once doesn't have to stop at
one extra interface. Go ahead and spawn more if one wants.

Further, Antonio, when you say,

"Additionally, for those vendors that wish to integrate the layer 2
(DSL/cable) modem as part of the CPE router (where the "WAN"
encapsulation is not ethernet), perhaps a separately named interface
definition might be appropriate to avoid confusion with "WAN"."

In such a case, the WAN interface is a logical interface that bridges
the CPE Router to the broadband modem. We clarified the WAN interface
definition as follows with new text

WAN interface - a single physical network interface on the standalone
CPE Router that is used to connect the router to the access network of
the Service Provider. When the CPE Router is embedded in a device that
connects to the WAN, this interface is a logical network interface that
bridges the device to the CPE Router. Some devices which can have an
embedded CPE router are: a cable or DSL modem, or a cellular telephone,
etc.

When we publish our next revision of the draft, we will include new text
for the WAN interface definition.

Thanks.

Hemant & Wes.