From: Stark, Barbara [mailto:bs7652@att.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:17 PM
To: Antonio Querubin; Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: v6ops@ops.ietf.org
Subject: RE: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

I don't understand the relevance of mentioning PHY interfaces, PHY
modems, or pure Ethernet switches, in a document about IPv6 behavior of
CPE routers. A physical instantiation of a CPE router may indeed contain
a PHY modem and Ethernet switch, but I don't see why that's relevant or
needs to be called out in this document.

I don't see any functionality described in this draft that changes based
on the link layer or below. Certainly not if the link layer is Ethernet.

I know that there do exist WAN PHY interfaces that do not have the IP
running over either  Ethernet link layer or PPP. Such IP interfaces will
either exhibit the same behavior as described in this document, or they
won't. If they do, that can be mentioned. If they don't, but have mass
market relevance, it can be described how they differ. The WAN interface
as an Ethernet link layer interface will cover all mass market retail
routers, and the vast majority of DSL modem/routers. I can't speak for
DOCSIS or UMTS, since I don't know those protocol stacks very well. If
they don't use Ethernet for their link layers, do they have some other
link layer that is similar to Ethernet? Is there any reason why that
link layer shouldn't be considered the "WAN interface"?
Barbara