Re: sylsog in NETCONF notifications

On 7/7/06, Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
Agreed.  The protocol itself needs to be content-independent.
I argued that even the <eventClass> field should just be
a string instead of the netconf WG defining the allowable
values of that string.  (I don't know exactly what the WG
wants to do here yet.)

Have you considered using the capability string as identifier for
eventClass? Granted, it may be a bit lengthy, but it clearly
identifies the event. That would also allow cross-checks (e.g. if
eventClass matches advertised capabilities).

I like the basic architecture Phil is proposing (except I
want to make sure any NV-stored data is handled properly).
I like the idea of NV-configuring multiple streams on an
agent, based not only on filtering subsets of the data,
but also to support different encodings of the same notifications.

I like the idea of the netconf manager issuing a <start-notifications>
RPC and subscribing to a pre-configured stream,
or providing a "my-session-only" stream config that the agent will
toss when the session is closed.

This provides a transition path to XML-encoded syslog or snmp-notif
streams.  Legacy apps will subscribe to "syslog/RAW", and gradually,
new apps will have some reason to subscribe to "syslog/XML" or "snmp/XML"
formatted streams.

I agree.

Rainer