RE: sylsog in NETCONF notifications

in-line
Hector

HT: Because nobody (that I know of) is interested/needs to carry
    SNMP notifications inside NETCONF. Whether or not the Appendix B
proposal stays
    in is up for discussion next week.

> If you talk about filtering and also talk about syslog data,
> NETCONF IMHO actually tries to define a configuration
> mechanism for SYSLOG.
> The draft is not taking SYSLOG as *the* content format and
> just extending it with some syslog fields. The draft is
> defining a NETCONF notification format (which is perfectly
> fine and good to see) and then is mapping how SYSLOG should
> be mapped into it. The later IMHO should be done as a
> separate effort via a SYSLOG data model.

HT: The title of the section is "Leveraging Syslog Field Definitions"
and as the title I think suggests the purpose is to re-use existing
syslog definitions where it makes sense.

> > > Having syslog mappings in a basic netconf document forces the
> > > netconf document to be changed/obsoleted whenever there
> is change on
> > > the syslog side. I think this dependency should be avoided.
> > >
> > > There is some growing interest in the syslog community to define
> > > event data models. This effort could play nicely together
> with netconf.
> >
> > Does this mean you think it is a good idea for the NETCONF WG to
> > create a brand-new netconf-only notification system?
>
> I think it is eventually a good idea for the NETCONF WG to
> create a brand-new, EXTENSIBLE notification system that could
> also transport events traditionally being transported via
> SYSLOG, SNMP or vendor-specific event notification protocols.
> If I understood NETCONF correctly, it is a common base that
> it should be extensible.
> Extensions can be vendor-specific or via standard
> capabilities. Lots of discussion on this list are focussed
> about data models for configuration. If I follow that spirit,
> NETCONF notifications should provide a framework for
> notification delivery, but not necessarily (and exclusively)
> all data models that could be transported via it.

HT: That's the idea. Right now the doc only covers syslog & as I said in
a previous e-mail
    SNMP is not something that has come up.

> > Or does it mean you think the SYSLOG WG should do this work
> instead of
> > the NETCONF WG?
>
> I think the syslog community should standardize a SYSLOG data model.
> As much as it probably could standardize a basic SYSLOG
> configuration data model (including syslog-specific filters
> and event actions). I do not think that the current SYSLOG WG
> (chartered in the SEC area) is the right one to do this. I
> think a new SYSLOG WG should be chartered in the OPS area to
> standardize syslog payload and thus also provide a data
> model. Ideally, it would lean on the good work NETCONF has done.
> Such a data model could be advertised as a capability.

HT: I think this is good. Not sure what SYSLOG data model entails but
I'll assume it could include event types/contents. If so, could this be
done (i.e. event types, contents) defined in a protocol independent
manner.