RE: sylsog in NETCONF notifications

> Rainer Gerhards writes:
> WG,
>
> I suggest that the mapping of syslog to netconf notifications
> as well as the "syslogTunnel" event type be left out of the
> netconf notifications I-D. The reason is that I think the
> syslog community should provide a data model for syslog
> notifications as well as a mapping. The same should probably
> be done for SMTP traps.

HT: I tend to disagree with this. First, the "syslogTunnel" is just a
way to
    indicate that the payload of the NETCONF notification is a syslog
PDU. Why would this be the
    responsibility of the syslog WG/community. Second, the mapping was
an attempt to "re-use" existing
    syslog field definitions.

> Having syslog mappings in a basic netconf document forces the
> netconf document to be changed/obsoleted whenever there is
> change on the syslog side. I think this dependency should be avoided.

HT: I don't think this is necessarily true given the purpose of the
"mappings" but we'll look at it.

> There is some growing interest in the syslog community to
> define event data models. This effort could play nicely
> together with netconf.

HT: IMO this work is necessary but should be done independently of
syslog. Syslog can be a delivery mechanism but there is no reason for
syslog to be the only one.