Re: sylsog in NETCONF notifications

<inline>

On 7/6/06, Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
I disagree.
I think it is fine for the NETCONF WG to reference a specific
version of syslog as the content format.  If the SYSLOG WG
invented a new version, then the NETCONF PDU would just reference it.
I don't see a problem if the NETCONF WG creates configuration
mechanisms for NETCONF (such as notification filtering) and
uses well-known fields in a specific version of syslog.

I do not see any problem if the NETCONF WG creates a configuration
mechanism for NETCONF. But appendix B looks like the NETCONF WG
creates a configuration mechanism (or better: notification mechanism)
for syslog. If that is just one way of doing things, why not also
specifying how SNMP traps and informs should be carried inside a
NETCONF notification?

If you talk about filtering and also talk about syslog data, NETCONF
IMHO actually tries to define a configuration mechanism for SYSLOG.
The draft is not taking SYSLOG as *the* content format and just
extending it with some syslog fields. The draft is defining a NETCONF
notification format (which is perfectly fine and good to see) and then
is mapping how SYSLOG should be mapped into it. The later IMHO should
be done as a separate effort via a SYSLOG data model.

> Having syslog mappings in a basic netconf document forces the netconf
> document to be changed/obsoleted whenever there is change on the
> syslog side. I think this dependency should be avoided.
>
> There is some growing interest in the syslog community to define event
> data models. This effort could play nicely together with netconf.

Does this mean you think it is a good idea for the NETCONF WG
to create a brand-new netconf-only notification system?

I think it is eventually a good idea for the NETCONF WG to create a
brand-new, EXTENSIBLE notification system that could also transport
events traditionally being transported via SYSLOG, SNMP or
vendor-specific event notification protocols. If I understood NETCONF
correctly, it is a common base that it should be extensible.
Extensions can be vendor-specific or via standard capabilities. Lots
of discussion on this list are focussed about data models for
configuration. If I follow that spirit, NETCONF notifications should
provide a framework for notification delivery, but not necessarily
(and exclusively) all data models that could be transported via it.

Or does it mean you think the SYSLOG WG should do this work
instead of the NETCONF WG?

I think the syslog community should standardize a SYSLOG data model.
As much as it probably could standardize a basic SYSLOG configuration
data model (including syslog-specific filters and event actions). I do
not think that the current SYSLOG WG (chartered in the SEC area) is
the right one to do this. I think a new SYSLOG WG should be chartered
in the OPS area to standardize syslog payload and thus also provide a
data model. Ideally, it would lean on the good work NETCONF has done.
Such a data model could be advertised as a capability.

Rainer