Re: sylsog in NETCONF notifications

Rainer Gerhards wrote:
WG,

I suggest that the mapping of syslog to netconf notifications as well
as the "syslogTunnel" event type be left out of the netconf
notifications I-D. The reason is that I think the syslog community
should provide a data model for syslog notifications as well as a
mapping. The same should probably be done for SMTP traps.

I disagree.
I think it is fine for the NETCONF WG to reference a specific
version of syslog as the content format.  If the SYSLOG WG
invented a new version, then the NETCONF PDU would just reference it.
I don't see a problem if the NETCONF WG creates configuration
mechanisms for NETCONF (such as notification filtering) and
uses well-known fields in a specific version of syslog.

Having syslog mappings in a basic netconf document forces the netconf
document to be changed/obsoleted whenever there is change on the
syslog side. I think this dependency should be avoided.

There is some growing interest in the syslog community to define event
data models. This effort could play nicely together with netconf.

Does this mean you think it is a good idea for the NETCONF WG
to create a brand-new netconf-only notification system?

Or does it mean you think the SYSLOG WG should do this work
instead of the NETCONF WG?

Rainer

Andy