Re: sylsog in NETCONF notifications

Rainer Gerhards wrote:
On 7/7/06, Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:

I don't think that if the netconf protocol had any particular
syslog content filters (for netconf delivery of syslog), the
syslog protocol (or WG) would be impacted in any way.

Just to clarify: my comment dug even deeper. Here, I am not only
concerned with SYSLOG. I think the cleanness of NETCONF notifications
would be compromised if the core notifications draft depends on
non-NETCONF-native filter capabilities. I think it should be aimed to
find a filtering capability that is able to express filters in a very
generic way, including nested boolean operations and regular
expression filters. I can envison that these are useful for vendor
extensions as well as for SYSLOG.

Agreed.  The protocol itself needs to be content-independent.
I argued that even the <eventClass> field should just be
a string instead of the netconf WG defining the allowable
values of that string.  (I don't know exactly what the WG
wants to do here yet.)

I like the basic architecture Phil is proposing (except I
want to make sure any NV-stored data is handled properly).
I like the idea of NV-configuring multiple streams on an
agent, based not only on filtering subsets of the data,
but also to support different encodings of the same notifications.

I like the idea of the netconf manager issuing a <start-notifications>
RPC and subscribing to a pre-configured stream,
or providing a "my-session-only" stream config that the agent will
toss when the session is closed.

This provides a transition path to XML-encoded syslog or snmp-notif
streams.  Legacy apps will subscribe to "syslog/RAW", and gradually,
new apps will have some reason to subscribe to "syslog/XML" or "snmp/XML"
formatted streams.

Rainer

Andy