Re: sylsog in NETCONF notifications

Balazs Lengyel wrote:
Hello,
I hope you are not very strict with this syslog ONLY. There are a good number of nodes that use non-syslog notification methods. Also I feel one basic reason why we need notifications is to help Netconf configuration which id not strictly syslog related. For me this means we should work on topics like
- basic data needed in every notification
- event classes
- filtering on XML
as well.

My intent is to have a content-independent framework for delivering
notifications, but not have the NETCONF WG develop any standard
notification content unless it is directly related to configuration.

IMO, syslog is important enough that it is worthwhile to have
filtering mechanisms that actually work for syslog.
Generalized filters sound great, but if they are impossible
to use for the most common application (syslog/RAW), then
they are mostly irrelevant.  Telling all the vendors "Hey, I have a
really cool XML tool, so if you could re-design and re-code
15,000 or so syslog messages to output an XML subtree instead of text,
well, that would be great."

I suggest coming up with a transition plan, because it will
be about a decade before you get to use your fancy XML tools on
notification content.

Sorry if I misunderstood your intent.
Balazs

Andy

Andy Bierman wrote:
IMO, we should have the same type of extensible, content-independent
PDU and framework that we have for <rpc>, but that syslog delivery
should be the first (and only) content that we work on right now.