Re: sylsog in NETCONF notifications

Balazs Lengyel wrote:
Hello,
There are some NEW implementations for Netconf as well. These don't always need a transition plan. Also if you look at Jurgens requirement page a good number of requirements are not refering to syslog. Generally I would like to avoid being forced to use syslog in order to have a standard notification mechanism with filtering.

I suggest using a proprietary format for XML notifications,
or asking the AD for a BOF or WG charter for standardized syslog/XML.

I am strongly opposed to any new mechanisms unless they
follow the "content-independent payload" concept.  This is easy.
Just define a namespace for the specialized content instead of
hard-wiring it in as an element.

Instead of a special "syslog" capability, we need a general "notification"
capability.  The <capability> exchange should include module identifiers
that indicate that the agent supports "syslog/RAW", "syslog/COOKED", "acme/TOASTED",
or whatever content you want to use. (It will probably be a combination
of all kinds of formats for many years.)   This should be no different than
advertising the data models that can be used with <edit-config> or <get>.

Balazs

Andy