Re: [idn] Figuring out what can be displayed

Erik Nordmark <Erik.Nordmark@sun.com> wrote:

> idna-11 says:
>
> > 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
> > users except when the use of the non-ASCII form would cause problems
> > or when the ACE form is explicitly requested.
>
> Seems like John is asking for
>
> 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
> users when it is known that the environment can handle the non-ACE
> form, except when the ACE form is explicitly requested.

I'd prefer to retain the "problems" escape hatch:

    3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
    users when it is known that the non-ACE form can be handled by the
    environment and will not cause problems, unless the ACE form is
    explicitly requested.

> When it is not known whether the environment can handle the non-ACE
> form, the application MAY use the non-ACE form (which might fail e.g.
> by not being displayed propertly) or it MAY instead use the ACE form
> (which will look unintelligle to the user).

We are in a section called "Requirements", but this is not a
requirement, it's just the opposite.  I don't think it's necessary
at all (because the application obviously MAY do anything that's not
forbidden), but if you want something like this, I think it belongs in
section 6.1 and/or 6.4.

AMC