Re: [idn] Figuring out what can be displayed

> > 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
> > users when it is known that the environment can handle the non-ACE
> > form, except when the ACE form is explicitly requested.
>
> This still has the potential to cause non-trivial breakage. Message-ID,
> search, etc.

Potentially, because it depends on how you define "the environment".

One of the things the IETF needs to do is to take the IDN base and produce
specifications on how it applies in more detail to various application
protocols. I've seen drafts on URI issues, but I don't recall any drafts on
specifics for email.

In order to get the right folks involved in the discussion it is probably
better to have it on the discuss@apps.ietf.org list, or on some smtp specific
mailing list.

  Erik