Re: [idn] Figuring out what can be displayed

on 9/11/2002 5:12 AM Erik Nordmark wrote:

> 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
> users when it is known that the environment can handle the non-ACE
> form, except when the ACE form is explicitly requested.

This still has the potential to cause non-trivial breakage. Message-ID,
search, etc.

> When it is not known whether the environment can handle the non-ACE
> form, the application MAY use the non-ACE form (which might fail e.g.
> by not being displayed propertly) or it MAY instead use the ACE  form
> (which will look unintelligle to the user). --

My position remains that the Unicode form MUST NOT be rendered unless and
until the governing specification for the affected protocol and/or service
explicitly allows it and describes how such data is to be handled.