Re: [idn] Figuring out what can be displayed

idna-11 says:

> 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
> users except when the use of the non-ASCII form would cause problems or
> when the ACE form is explicitly requested.

Seems like John is asking for
3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
users when it is known that the environment can handle the non-ACE form, except
when the ACE form is explicitly requested.

When it is not known whether the environment can handle the non-ACE form,
the application MAY use the non-ACE form (which
might fail e.g. by not being displayed propertly) or it MAY instead use the
ACE  form (which will look unintelligle to the user).
--

I think something like the above text is better than what is in the document.

  Erik