Re: [idn] Figuring out what can be displayed

--On Wednesday, 11 September, 2002 12:12 +0200 Erik Nordmark
<Erik.Nordmark@sun.com> wrote:

> idna-11 says:
>
>> 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be
>> hidden from users except when the use of the non-ASCII form
>> would cause problems or when the ACE form is explicitly
>> requested.
>
> Seems like John is asking for
> 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden
> from users when it is known that the environment can handle
> the non-ACE form, except when the ACE form is explicitly
> requested.
>
> When it is not known whether the environment can handle the
> non-ACE form,  the application MAY use the non-ACE form (which
> might fail e.g. by not being displayed propertly) or it MAY
> instead use the ACE  form (which will look unintelligle to the
> user). --

That would certainly meet my needs.  My personal hypothesis that
the first case ("when it is known that the environment...") is
null in practice is not problematic in this form, whether it is
correct or not.

> I think something like the above text is better than what is
> in the document.

Indeed.
     john