Re: [idn] Figuring out what can be displayed

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:12:44PM +0200, Erik Nordmark wrote:

> idna-11 says:
>
> > 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
> > users except when the use of the non-ASCII form would cause problems or
> > when the ACE form is explicitly requested.
>
> Seems like John is asking for
> 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
> users when it is known that the environment can handle the non-ACE form, except
> when the ACE form is explicitly requested.
>
> When it is not known whether the environment can handle the non-ACE form,

The next two options are  "mutually exclusive" ones ?

> the application MAY use the non-ACE form (which
> might fail e.g. by not being displayed propertly) or it MAY instead use the
> ACE  form (which will look unintelligle to the user).

how about to add this ?

  "or most preferrably, it MAY use both forms displayed side-by-side".

BTW, if IDN display issue deserves this specification, why doesn't IDN  copy&paste
recommendation  have its place in the document ?
I think copy&paste is a kind of higher-layer communication protocol between processes
which may reside on the same machine or on the two different machines. That requires
proper negotiations between applications/OSes to work correctly.

Soobok Lee