Re: [idn] Figuring out what can be displayed

> > 3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
> > users when it is known that the environment can handle the non-ACE
> > form, except when the ACE form is explicitly requested.
>
> I'd prefer to retain the "problems" escape hatch:
>
>     3) ACE labels obtained from domain name slots SHOULD be hidden from
>     users when it is known that the non-ACE form can be handled by the
>     environment and will not cause problems, unless the ACE form is
>     explicitly requested.

OK.

> > When it is not known whether the environment can handle the non-ACE
> > form, the application MAY use the non-ACE form (which might fail e.g.
> > by not being displayed propertly) or it MAY instead use the ACE form
> > (which will look unintelligle to the user).
>
> We are in a section called "Requirements", but this is not a
> requirement, it's just the opposite.  I don't think it's necessary
> at all (because the application obviously MAY do anything that's not
> forbidden), but if you want something like this, I think it belongs in
> section 6.1 and/or 6.4.

I think the dual "MAY"s make it clear that the specification
doesn't require or recommend either. This could of course be done
without using the upper case MAYs, but I think it would be a bad
idea to move this statement of non-requirement away from the very closely
related "SHOULD" requirement, since that will make it much harder
for the reader to piece together the complete picture here.

  Erik