Re: [idn] Re: Document Status?

At 01:19 AM 9/4/2002 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:
> If you are printing it, you are not "putting it back" anywhere, so i
> have no idea what you mean.

I would assume he means typing the printed output into an application,
the printed output is a valid, 7-bit domain name. typing it in will work the same as all other 7-bit domain names.

> In any event, as noted, user interfaces deal with multiple data types
> just fine.  There is nothing about an DNA that makes it particularly
> distinctive from other, labeled, structured data types that UIs already
> deal with.

Few will care if the subject line isn't transcribed properly, but
1.  No one has said that UI issues are not important.

2.  The UIs handle these sorts of things quite well already.

 This is patently false with the email
address however, since the headers will break the protocol.
I don't know what "headers" you mean, but in any event, the ACE version of an IDN is valid to type in anywhere that a "regular" 7-bit ascii domain name is allowed.

So, if you are claiming that it won't work, you still need to provide a specific, concrete scenario that will fail.

> But mostly this line of discussion continues to fail to distinguish
> between over-the-wire encoding, versus encodings within the host.

And when it does get raised, it gets dismissed as out-of-scope.
Not quickly enough.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850