Re: [idn] Re: Document Status?

on 9/3/2002 10:34 PM Dave Crocker wrote:

> At 04:53 AM 9/4/2002 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> writes: If I press the PRINT button
>> on an IDNA in my mail reader, it is important that people are able to
>> put it back into the original IDNA
>
> If you are printing it, you are not "putting it back" anywhere, so i
> have no idea what you mean.

I would assume he means typing the printed output into an application,
since that's pretty much what he said.

> In any event, as noted, user interfaces deal with multiple data types
> just fine.  There is nothing about an DNA that makes it particularly
> distinctive from other, labeled, structured data types that UIs already
> deal with.

Few will care if the subject line isn't transcribed properly, but
everybody will care if an email address or URL isn't transcribed properly.
To stick with the current example, this means that printed output will
also have to use the encoded form if it is to survive. Even with mail
bodies this isn't a problem since the body itself is still relatively
unstructured, and something like kanji text being exchanged between two
japanese-speaking users is likely to be understandable by those users even
if it is packaged in non-MIME form. This is patently false with the email
address however, since the headers will break the protocol.

> But mostly this line of discussion continues to fail to distinguish
> between over-the-wire encoding, versus encodings within the host.

And when it does get raised, it gets dismissed as out-of-scope.