Re: [idn] Document Status?

on 9/4/2002 1:05 AM Dave Crocker wrote:

> 2.  To use your own perspective, DNS is a hop-by-hop system, when
> viewed properly.

Indeed it is, with proxies and replication and everything. But we're not
just talking about DNS, we're also talking about the applications that
have to accept domain names and use them for in-band structured data. The
majority of the applications which will make use of domain names do not
suffer these considerations, and they can be enabled with a simple option
negotiation sequence.

I have also said that a *complete* migration of the DNS service would be a
20 year effort, so I don't know what your statement hopes to disprove.

>> They have different usage models and different architectures.
>
> they have the same architecture.  8-bit data translated onto a 7-bit
> environment.

MIME provides multiple data-types with multiple codecs, with applications
being able to choose among the data-types and codecs that are best suited
to that specific usage. IDNA provides a single [usable] data-type with a
single codec. They are completely different architectures.

> Eric, forgive me.  I forgot that you had extensive experience in
> developing and revising these protocols and in seeing them deployed.

Your mix of ignorance and paternalistic politics is what makes people
think of you as an intellectually and spiritually weak troll, crocker.