Re: [idn] Document Status?

At 01:41 AM 9/4/2002 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:
on 9/4/2002 1:05 AM Dave Crocker wrote:
> 2.  To use your own perspective, DNS is a hop-by-hop system, when
> viewed properly.

Indeed it is, ...
I have also said that a *complete* migration of the DNS service would be a
20 year effort, so I don't know what your statement hopes to disprove.
you were somehow implying that email's hop-by-hop nature was a relevant point of distinction.

i was merely trying to take that perspective and note that it applies equally to the DNS.

>> They have different usage models and different architectures.
>
> they have the same architecture.  8-bit data translated onto a 7-bit
> environment.

MIME provides multiple data-types with multiple codecs, with applications
being able to choose among the data-types and codecs that are best suited
to that specific usage. IDNA provides a single [usable] data-type with a
single codec. They are completely different architectures.
The comparison was not between their full architectures.

It was between the encoding methods, in particular the one MIME uses for binary data... Does it help you if 'base64' is cited explicitly?

So, the points of larger difference that you are citing were not part of my reference. I was referring to a specific MIME base64 content-transfer-encoding scheme as being architecturally similar to IDNA's ACE scheme.

Your mix of ignorance and paternalistic politics is what makes people
think of you as an intellectually and spiritually weak troll, crocker.
thanks for the demonstration of professional superiority. we all can learn from it.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850