Re: [idn] Document Status?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Crocker" <dhc@dcrocker.net>
To: "Soobok Lee" <lsb@postel.co.kr>
Cc: <idn@ops.ietf.org>; "Paul Hoffman / IMC" <phoffman@imc.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: [idn] Document Status?

> At 10:57 AM 9/4/2002 +0900, Soobok Lee wrote:
> >MIME (and even RFC2047)encodes texts or descriptors , not ciritical
> >identifiers
> >like domain names as far as i understand.
>
> How does that difference matter?  What is it about that difference that
> makes experience with MIME not apply for IDNA?

IDN penetrates into all the applications which use domain names as local or
online identifiers, while MIME is used within internet messaging applications.
For example, MIME is not used in customer enrollment databases, while domain
names are. Future SQL statements support separate IDN comparison operators  ??
One database uses ACE in primary key, while joined database in other host uses UTF8.
Is it allowed?

I see huge groups of interconnected and interoperating databases,applications and
directories which came from differnt sources and regions and have their own management
policies in the global internet.

domain names have different criteria for interoperability ,
revision, and stability than messages and MIME have.  introducing IDN will
amplify all those severe problems and increase deployments costs, without
addressing them in a technically clear manner.

Soobok Lee