Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

> The question is really why 8/16/32 bit Unicode is better than 5bit (ACE)?

ACE and UTF-8 are just compression algorithms that squeeze larger
Unicode characters. ACE is more efficient than UTF, although more
complex.

But the claim to fame that UTF-8 has is that it is a standard that
idn can reference, and it is coming into widespread use elsewhere.

So moving to UTF-8 long term seems like such an obvious choice
is surprises me that it even gets debated.

Of course, Punycode is a nice compression method... Maybe we should
take it to the Unicode forum and suggest that it be the next version of
UTF-8?

But if that doesn't happen, it should logically be phased out.

Bruce