Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam M. Costello" <idn.amc+0@nicemice.net.RemoveThisWord>
> "David Leung (Neteka Inc.)" <david@neteka.com> wrote:
> > So now IDN is a larger scope than we expected, not just browser
> > software needs to upgrade, even html editor like Dreamweaver, etc
> > needs to upgrade...
>
> It should not be surprising that any software that deals with domain
> names as such (as opposed to text in general) might need to be upgraded
> in order to allow characters in domain names that used to be forbidden.

(the keyword in this extract is "ANY".  ANY software that deal with domain
names in a "human friendly form" will need to be upgraded.  That means
almost all applications that use domain names isnt it? cause domain names
were supposedly devised to be a "human friendly" name)

This is a revealing point you have pointed out Adam.  While you and some ACE
"everywhere" advocates maintain that ACE "everywhere" requires the least
upgrade, this seems to jump back out at yourselves that afterall, it is not
as small a job as it was advertised.

This and that together, if we are going to need an overhaul what is the
point of going back to ASCII and not move forward to a more advanced schema?

Edmon