Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

"David Leung (Neteka Inc.)" <david@neteka.com> wrote:

> So now IDN is a larger scope than we expected, not just browser
> software needs to upgrade, even html editor like Dreamweaver, etc
> needs to upgrade...

It should not be surprising that any software that deals with domain
names as such (as opposed to text in general) might need to be upgraded
in order to allow characters in domain names that used to be forbidden.

> I am wondering how many companys will be affected by this if even HTML
> editors or text editors need to upgrade,

HTML editors need to upgrade if they want to fully support IDNs.  Text
editors don't, because they don't deal with domain names as such, they
just deal with text.

> and what about if they are using an editor and really wants to put
> something like "bq--xxxx" on the page, should the editor show the
> local encoding on the interface and keep the ACE in the backend or
> people are not able to put anything that looks like an ACE domain on
> homepage anymore...

An HTML editor knows HTML syntax, so it knows the difference between
the host field of a URI in the src attribute of an IMG tag, versus text
in the content of a P element.  The former is subject to strict syntax
rules because it's a protocol element, while the latter is just text,
regardless of whether it happens to contain substrings that look like
domain names.

AMC