Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

At 00:57 02/03/27 +0000, Adam M. Costello wrote:
>An HTML editor knows HTML syntax, so it knows the difference between
>the host field of a URI in the src attribute of an IMG tag, versus text
>in the content of a P element.  The former is subject to strict syntax
>rules because it's a protocol element, while the latter is just text,
>regardless of whether it happens to contain substrings that look like
>domain names.

HTML defines href or source as CDATA, which means just about
'anything goes'. And as I have said in another mail, I don't
think that HTML editors do a lot of checks. Checks may occur
as part of link checking, but that's not on the syntax level,
where http://www.xyz.no-such-tld would be allowed.

Regards,    Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, I18N Activity Lead, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org/People/D%C3%BCrst