Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

James Seng/Personal wrote:

> > you can justify why designing a system that can handle ASCII as a fallback
> > and can automatically support 8/16/32 bits Unicode is not a good design,
> > then I think my thinking is wrong.
>
> The question is really why 8/16/32 bit Unicode is better than 5bit (ACE)?

I think the former is based on character and the latter is based on string.
Maybe it is a advantage of the former for design many Applications.

> 8 is not neccessary better than 5 just like 32 is not neccessary better than
> 8. It is all engineering trade off.
>
> So what is the advantage of moving towards more bits? And how much more is
> enough?
>
> ps: I am not agreeing or disagreeing with a transition. I reserved my
> judgement later.
>
> -James Seng

* China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC)  *
*   Sun Guonian                     No.4, S.4 Street *
*                                   Zhong Guan Cun   *
* Phone: +86-10-62619750 ext. 3016  Haidian District *
* Email: sun@cnnic.net.cn           Beijing          *
* http://www.cnnic.net.cn/          P.O.Box: 100080  *
* 中国互联网络信息中心    孙国念                     *