Re: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

On 20 jul 2008, at 15:45, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:

3. I disagree with the behavior suggested for "unnumbered" model. I
don't think a CPE router should automatically open up a maintenance
loopback interface just because it doesn't get a global IP address.

<hs>

Would you PLEASE use normal quoting techniques? Reading email costs enough time as it is without everyone doing stuff in their own particular way so automation and habits don't work.

Not quite.  The unnumbered model is clearly saying the WAN interface
only acquires on a link-local address. But the WAN interface of the CPE
Router has got to have a global IPv6 address.

You are being extremely imprecise. That is one of the reasons your draft is in such bad shape.

The INTERFACE doesn't need a global address, but the ROUTER does.

So what choice does the
CPE Router have but to automatically spawn a Loopback interface that
will get assigned a global IPv6 address

When you need to create a packet, use a source address from another interface that you have, i.e. a LAN interface. I believe this is explained in the base IPv6 specs. Or ask within your company about the behavior of "ipv6 unnumbered ..."

(using SLAAC,

Creating addresses using stateless autoconfig on an interface different than the one where the RAs were received is very wrong.

DHCPv6

Using DHCPv6 address configuration on a router makes no sense in my opinion.

stateless DHCPv6 to acquire an IA_PD).

I don't think prefix delegation is possible in the stateless version of DHCPv6.