RE: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:

No, I meant incoming ping reqs to the CPE Router's WAN interface. We
              ^^^^^^^^
have seen home networks getting attacked with pings from the WAN in
cable deployments.  As one may note, we don't discuss any throttling of
ping reqs or responses into/from the CPE Router.  We are going to think
about it and see what do mention about throttling for the CPE Router.

I'm confused. How does one rate-limit incoming requests on the WAN side when that's not under the control of the device? You can only rate-limit what you originate or forward, regardless of whether it's destination is internal or external.

whois:  AQ7-ARIN