Re: About IPv6 private address

Joe Abley wrote:

On 4-Feb-2008, at 15:17, Mark Smith wrote:

Well, not everybody has or will have Apples, so they won't have Bonjour
aware clients/browsers. There does need to be alternative methods.

As far as I know, though, Bonjour isn't limited to Apple devices. It's definitely available on free *ix platforms (and I say "definitely" because I've used it) and apparently available on Windows too ("apparently" because I have not had a reason to use Windows since about 1995).

So it doesn't seem reasonable to discount this as a reasonable mechanism on the grounds that "not everybody uses Apple products".

IMHO mDNS definitely is rather good answer to the problem of "end-user adds a router to his home network" or for that matter a large number of similar issues (eg "user adds Camera", "user adds IPv6 enabled Fridge" and many others of those things, "user adds IP-enabled F16" etc... :)

uPNP offers a similar solution of course, as it announces the devices + capabilities + url for configuration on the local network.

Couple of things that can be done here:
 - check that there is already a router on the link
   ping6 ff02::2, reply? -> another one there
   no reply? -> you are the first one
   when one is the first one or there is no RA
   -> create a ULA + announce it
   otherwise use the existing prefix

Then either:
 - use mDNS to announce the name of the host
   (include MAC/serial to make it unique)
 - use RA/DHCPv6 to provide DNS server address
 - create a captive portal on port 80, this portal
   is the configuration interface.

In general of course, why would such a device need to be configured anyway, except for "allow inbound connections", which I guess should be off per default to protect the innocent.

Greets,
 Jeroen