Re: About IPv6 private address

On Feb 4, 2008, at 07:00, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 4 feb 2008, at 8:43, blue wrote:

Even by mDNS or LLMNR, the device need to reply the queried name, such as "gateway.local.", with a valid IPv6 address except link- local address since DNS record could not allow link-local address to be carried.

Is there any particular reason we're reinventing this specific wheel for which excellent implementations exist? In my webbrowser I can look under "bonjour" (sometimes mistakenly called mDNS) and get a list of printers on the local network.

On top of that, it already works, today, with IPv6-- which is a win when the browsing host has multiple network interfaces, as most personal computers do these days. IPv6 link-local addresses are scoped to the interface, so addressing conflicts are completely avoided.

Some people just want to make things harder than necessary to use, I guess.

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering