Re: About IPv6 private address

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:52:31 -0800
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008, at 07:00, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> > On 4 feb 2008, at 8:43, blue wrote:
> >>
> >> Even by mDNS or LLMNR, the device need to reply the queried name,
> >> such as "gateway.local.", with a valid IPv6 address except link-
> >> local address since DNS record could not allow link-local address
> >> to be carried.
> >
> > Is there any particular reason we're reinventing this specific
> > wheel for which excellent implementations exist? In my webbrowser I
> > can look under "bonjour" (sometimes mistakenly called mDNS) and get
> > a list of printers on the local network.
>
> On top of that, it already works, today, with IPv6-- which is a win
> when the browsing host has multiple network interfaces, as most
> personal computers do these days.  IPv6 link-local addresses are
> scoped to the interface, so addressing conflicts are completely avoided.
>
> Some people just want to make things harder than necessary to use, I
> guess.

Well, not everybody has or will have Apples, so they won't have Bonjour
aware clients/browsers. There does need to be alternative methods.

You're right though, service / device location is old school, Novell
Netware and Appletalk got that sorted out years ago, and SLP and
Bonjour seem to me to mainly be IETF versions of their techniques.

Regards,
Mark.