Re: About IPv6 private address

On 4 feb 2008, at 22:19, Nathan Ward wrote:

Shorter term, having a vendor-specific (i.e. manufacturer-, or perhaps ISP-) ULA would be a passable idea.

No, it's a bad idea, because you're about to...

- What happens when there are two devices of the same model on the link? Does that mean each has to have a unique number in the name? (Apple airport things use part of the MAC address for the initial name, but, this does not need to be typed by the user as is being suggested here..)
- I'm sure I had more problems in my head a few minutes ago.

...reinvent service discovery.

This all fairly complex to do right but that wheel has been invented before, no need to do it again.

BTW those printers I was talking about aren't made by Apple.