Re: create-subscription vs. subscribe

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 08:57:54AM -0800, Andy Bierman wrote:

> >You subscribe to a stream - sounds quite natural to me.
> >

> ok - it isn't that important.
>
> Actually, <get-notifications> is probably better because
> it covers subscribe and replay modes.

To me, subscribing to a stream is a fair summary of the action taken.
Why should the verb indicate that streams have different properties?
How does <get-notifications> indicate that you might get notifications
replayed?

Back in the days when Usenet news were popular, you subscribed to a
newsgroup and depending on the storage capacity of your news server,
you would either get access only to new postings only or also to the
still known old postings. I think we are doing exactly the same here
and since I am old fashioned I like to use the same verb for this
"subscribe" action.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		 International University Bremen
				 (Jacobs University Bremen as of Spring 2007)