Re: I-D ACTION:draft-kulkarni-netconf-subagent-prot-00.txt

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 06:15:41PM +0200, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

> A very good observation. The AgentX work happened after many years of
> operational experience and deployment of 'monolithic' agents, and in the
> conditions when at least three different software packages that I
> remember were offering agent-subagent SNMP stacks.

Before we all start to be proud of the AgentX story, lets not forget
that sub-agent technology was invented very shortly after SNMP did see
the light (around 1990) and that attempts to standardize were kind of
blocked until 1996 and then it took then the usual IETF time to get
AgentX out in January 1998 (see RFC 1227 and RFC 1228 for early works
in this area or the special issue of the Simple Times, Volume 4,
Number 2 April, 1996).

A great deal of standardization work seems to be related to good
timing and I am not sure AgentX is an example we can be proud of in
terms of good timing.

/js

PS: I am not arguing for doing netconf subagent work now nor do I have
    an opinion whether such a standard is needed at all; I just think
    we need to be careful with the history.

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany