Re: predictable content

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 11:58:57AM +0200, Balazs Lengyel wrote:

> For me this also means that the content of the notifications should
> be defined as well. A full definition is not possible but at least a
> set of basic data (notification type, category?, sender, timestamp,
> human readable info string ?, alarmID etc.) could be defined by the
> protocol. (Like sender, notification type and timestamp is included
> in SNMP as I remember.)

SNMPv1 indeed did this but the idea was weakened with the introduction
of SNMPv2 PDU formats some 12+ years ago since only the notification
name (its OID) and the sysUpTime timestamp is required to be shipped
in the varbind list (and note that sysUpTime is the time since the
network management portion of the system was last re-initialized).
The identification of the sender got reintroduced in SNMPv3 by means
of the (context-engine-id, context-name) pair, in particular to handle
proxy situations (but I hope NETCONF avoids dealing with proxies).

> So even if the NMS doesn't know the specific data model he can do
> some useful things with it e.g. present it, search for specific
> string values etc.

You are proposing to hard-wire a portion of a data model into the
protocol. So far, NETCONF tried to avoid this and the question would
be where to stop.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany