predictable content

For me this also means that the content of the notifications should be defined as well. A full definition is not possible but at least a set of basic data (notification type, category?, sender, timestamp, human readable info string ?, alarmID etc.) could be defined by the protocol. (Like sender, notification type and timestamp is included in SNMP as I remember.)

So even if the NMS doesn't know the specific data model he can do some useful things with it e.g. present it, search for specific string values etc.

Balazs