Re: Why are we doing netconf?

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 12:17:05PM -0500, Sharon Chisholm wrote:

> Predictable is that the consumer of the message based only on the
> protocol definition and a definition of the data model associated with
> the notification (XML Schema, for example) are able to predict what
> information will be in the notification and how it will be formatted.

I assume that any reasonable data modeling language should have the
property that notifications defined with the data modeling language
are predictable.

I fail to see a requirement here for the development of a NETCONF
_protocol_ extension. If I am wrong, can you please help me phrase
this as a protocol requirement?

> <Juergen>
> > - reliable delivery (or ability to detect when things go wrong)
> > - event replay
>
> Why is that a requirement? What is this good for in operational
> environments?
> </Juergen>
>
> I should mention that I consider event replay something we can add
> later. We did not include it in the draft. Event replay is a mechanism
> that allows you when you first start talking to a device to learn about
> interesting events that have happened to it within the immediate past.
> Ideally, this information will be in the same format as it would have
> been if you had actually been there it hear it.

Thanks for the clarification. So then I will not list event "event
replay" as a requirement.

> <Juergen>
> > - Ability to support different types of events (alarms, logs,
> > configuration snippets, etc)
>
> Is "configuration snippets" and event type? Is logs == syslog messages?
> </Juergen>
>
> A configuration snippet would be part of a configuration either as part
> of an audit trial or a configuration mirroring thing. I think
> configuration might be the actual event class. Logs could be the same
> sort of information that is currently done in syslog, yes.

So what is the distinction between an event class and an event type?

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany