Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

on 6/10/2002 1:33 PM Dave Crocker said the following:

> You want a different DNS than the world has been using for 15 years.

This kind of facile argument is pointless to respond to. The simple fact
is that a lowercase-only i18n namespace is pretty useless as a global
database of named objects.

> That's pretty cool.  You think that the interpretation of a DNS string
> depends on which application is interpreting it.

The interpretation of the eight-bit codes in STD13 labels is entirely left
to local interpretation. If you disagree with this, you need to reread the
thread again.

> Please describe two scenarios -- in the current, global Internet -- in
> which the same domain name string is interpreted differently by different
> applications.

Any application which uses eight-bit values applies local interpretation
to those codes. Reread the thread.

> In particular, your concern is about comparisons

No, my concern is with limiting the usefulness of the i18n namespace.

I will give you a test question now: tell me anybody should be prohibited
from storing application-specific domain names as RR data without kneeling
at the lowercase alter. What is the exact problem you foresee with
allowing an external application to put whatever they want into the RRs
which suit their needs?