Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

At 12:33 PM 6/10/2002 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:
>Specifically, I am trying to get IDNA decoupled from mandatory use of
>nameprep so that the applications will be able to use domain names which
>are not lowercased and normalized, if those applications have such a need.
>This will not affect normal operations, as the majority of the resource
>records will still need to use nameprep anyway. It's a pretty simple
>request: make the profile selection separate from the codec.

The interpretation of domain name strings is not subject to
application-specific choice.

The DNS is a single, unified, global service and it defines its own
strings.  Interpretation (comparison) of strings must work the same in all
cases.

For everyone.  Everywhere.  At all times.

What you are seeking is in fundamental opposition to global
interoperability of the DNS.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850