Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

on 6/10/2002 10:14 AM Dave Crocker said the following:

> Since you think it IS relevant, I'll ask how it is relevant.

> So, please clarify.  What aspects of IDNA does this thread pertain to?

A lowercase-only idn namespace is not particularly compelling in
comparison with STD13 octets which can provide that feature over the
existing namespace, I am arguing to get this restriction lifted before it
is embedded in stone. Some things about IDNA can be changed
after-the-fact, this is not one of them.

Specifically, I am trying to get IDNA decoupled from mandatory use of
nameprep so that the applications will be able to use domain names which
are not lowercased and normalized, if those applications have such a need.
This will not affect normal operations, as the majority of the resource
records will still need to use nameprep anyway. It's a pretty simple
request: make the profile selection separate from the codec.