Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

At 01:01 PM 6/10/2002 -0500, Eric A. Hall wrote:

>on 6/10/2002 12:54 PM Dave Crocker said the following:
>
> > The interpretation of domain name strings is not subject to
> > application-specific choice.
>
>Not in the current design it isn't.

oh. well, that certainly clarifies things well.

You want a different DNS than the world has been using for 15 years.

That is considerably beyond the scope of IDN.

> > The DNS is a single, unified, global service and it defines its own
> > strings.  Interpretation (comparison) of strings must work the same in all
> > cases.
>
>That is historically and technically erroneous. Applications can and do
>define their own formatting rules and interpretations.

That's pretty cool.  You think that the interpretation of a DNS string
depends on which application is interpreting it.

The interoperability impact of that idea is quite impressive.

> > What you are seeking is in fundamental opposition to global
> > interoperability of the DNS.
>
>Reread the thread. What I seek is already offered in STD13 labels.

So, let's keep this simple.

Please describe two scenarios -- in the current, global Internet -- in
which the same domain name string is interpreted differently by different
applications.

In particular, your concern is about comparisons, so the example needs to
demonstrate differential comparison results, according to which application
is doing the comparing.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850