Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

Dave Crocker <dhc@dcrocker.net> wrote:

>> I am here in the middle with one group saying "we care only about
>> resolution" and another which say "display is also important". I am
trying
>> to balance the two group by putting the all concerns together.
>
> James, display of new strings within old parts of the system is NOT a
> concern for this working group.  With respect to new strings in old
part of
> the system, the only thing that matters for this working is that the
> protocol and software do not break.

This is probably true, but James is also correct.  Several people have
complained on this list, loudly and frequently, that leakage of
ACE-encoded names to old software clients is unacceptable.  (This is
often followed by a claim that UTF-8 is immune to such leakage problems,
though I don't follow the logic there.)

I believe James was simply trying to set up all the scenarios and
establish what "works" and what "doesn't work."  Determining which
"doesn't-work" situations are showstoppers and which are merely
annoyances is the next step.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California